Casanova, it is said, was the greatest lover in history. Being Italian, it’s likely he consumed a good deal of olive oil – excellent for circulation. And, good circulation to all parts of his body would have been required for all of those successful encounters.
It stands to reason then, that having olive oil as part of our healthy diet might aid our love lives. But, is there any science that backs up olive oil & sex? Well, yes. The Madrid Urological Institute conducted a test on the sex lives of a group of 40 men, aged 45+ with complaints of a lackluster performance in their love lives.
Half of those with mild problems reported improved physical capabilities during lovemaking after taking 20ml of organic EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) mixed with 8mg of tomato lycopene every day for three months.
The institute’s director, Urologist Dr. Juan Carlos Ruiz de la Roja, stated the scientific explanation is very simple. “Lycopene (found in ripe tomatoes) has been shown to have a vasodilatory effect due to the liberation of nitric oxide, which improves blood flow overall to all bodily regions….”
A daily dose of tomatoes liberally drizzled with olive oil could do wonders for your sex life. Here’s a recipe for getting it on:
Roasted and Fresh Tomatoes & Olive Oil
• 3 lbs of large, ripe tomatoes (any color), cored and sliced thickly
• 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cored – not sliced
• 2 garlic cloves peeled and smashed (optional)
• ¼ tsp dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste
• ¾ c of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Adjust a rack to middle of oven, preheat to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange tomatoes in one layer on sheet, putting the larger slices around the edges and smaller slices in center. Place garlic cloves on top of tomatoes (this helps bring forth the tomato “jelly”). Sprinkle with herbs. Drizzle EVOO evenly over tomatoes.
2. Bake for 30 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through. Remove from the oven and lower temp to 300 degrees, flip tomatoes (use a wooden spatula). Keep oven door open during this process to cool oven.
3. Return the tomatoes to the cooler oven and cook until they become bubbly, brown spots appearing and skins are blistering. Approximately 1-2 hours. The tomatoes will have collapsed in the middle.
4. Remove the tray, let cool to room temp (about half hour). Discard garlic and serve immediately on a platter, alternating with the sliced uncooked tomatoes, fresh basil, sprinkling of sea salt and grinds of fresh, black pepper. Use more olive oil to give a sheen to the uncooked tomatoes. This can become a meal on its own by adding some grilled fish or chicken or a a few slices of Burrata cheese.
The roasted tomatoes can also be stored in an airtight, glass container and can be refrigerated for 5 days or frozen for 2 months.
Olive Oil tastes good which creates its own pleasure. EVOO ranges from delicate to robust, each with their own flavor profiles and characteristics. Experiment and find the ones that give you the most taste, using delicate for raw foods and move towards robust with savory meals. Once again, the research confirms the Mediterranean Diet has many benefits for our healthy sex life.
Courtesy: Image 1: oliveoiltimes.com, Image 2: allrecipes.com, Image #3: oliveoiltimes.co,