Everyone wants the new year to be more successful than the last, but how do we get to the place of accomplishing our goals? I have compiled some tips and ideas that have helped me tremendously in making my goals my reality in the past year. Let’s start off the new year with fresh eyes and determination for our success!
1. Create a Vision Board. Listen if Oprah says to do it, you should do it. Plus it helps put all of your goals in one visual place. It is proven to help us clarify what we want and by looking at it daily re-affirm our goals in our mind.
2. Decide, Clarify, and Write Down Your Goals for the Year. You can’t figure out the how until you figure out the what. So what do you want? Be specific because this is the most aspect-when you know the goal you want to attain by the end of the year, you can then start figuring out where to begin. For example, if your goal is to finish that screenplay by December 1, 2018, what do you need to do each month to get to that goal? Once you know the monthly goal, then break it down into the weekly goals, then the daily goals. When you start from the end and work back to the beginning you can get a clearer understanding of what you will need to accomplish your goal, as well as feeling in control of your time. Also, don’t forget to make rewards for accomplishing the milestones and goals! This will help keep you motivated.
3. Be Mindful of Your Time. Ever hear the saying time is money? Well, it’s true. Once you know what you need to do to accomplish your goals plan out that time and make it a priority. All too often we fill our calendar with things that are not getting us to where we want to be in life. Since you clarified your goals and know what you need to accomplish them you can easily schedule your time. Try to break it down by, Work/Day Job, Career Goals, Personal, Errands/ Appointments. You can put these different sections in your calendar ahead as blocks of time- creating your schedule one week before is preferable so that when invitations and last minute “to do’s” come up you will know when to fit them in and how to RSVP. This also helps you see how much balance you really have between work, personal time, and career time.
4. Incorporate a Healthy Habit. When we get busy, unhappy or stressed we tend to incorporate bad habits. Eating unhealthy, not getting enough sleep, not unplugging and having “me time” etc. Start the year off by choosing one healthy habit and sticking to it. This can be as easy as taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work or meditating 3x a week. Taking care of your body is extremely important, it is ten times harder to get anything done when you don’t feel well.
5. Enjoy the Journey. Once you have set your goals and create your schedule, relax and enjoy the journey. All too often we get too caught up in the “what if’s”. Allow yourself to enjoy the time that it takes to accomplish the goal as much as accomplishing the goal itself. There are usually huge life lessons and amazing people to meet along the way. Be open to experience whatever comes to you and how it enriches your life.
“The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do.” -Anonymous
Follow MyLALifestyle and stay connected.
(Photo courtesy of http://empowermentandpurpose.com)