Making it in Hollywood isn’t as easy as everyone thinks it is. There is always a story of struggle and perseverance behind this city’s glitz and glamor. If people can automatically get famous after moving to LA imagine what kind of disaster that would entail. To help give me some insight on how to be successful in such a cutthroat industry, I reached out to the wildly talented actress and producer, Daffany Clark.
Born and raised in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, Daffany knew at an early age that she wanted to be an actress. After graduating from Columbia College where she majored in Fine Arts, she made the leap to Los Angeles in 2009. She quickly moved from LA transplant to a working actress, studying under the instruction of Choice Skinner at the Breakin Through Acting Workshop. In 2012, she landed her first recurring guest star role on The Fosters as “Daphne” where she quickly became a fan favorite during the pilot episode and was brought back throughout seasons 1 through 5. In addition to her success on The Fosters, Daffany can also be seen in BET’s Rebel and Netflix’s latest release John Henry.
Here are some useful tips and tricks that she has shared for finding success in the entertainment industry:
- Be patient with yourself: You always need to remember that it doesn’t happen when you want it to, it happens when it’s supposed to.
- Save every penny you get from working as an actor: It’s important to have multiple streams of income! Use your job money for your life expenses and the income you’ve earned working as an actor should be money that you save.
- Get an LLC or corporation: You are the CEO of your own company! Learning the rules and perks of having a company are extremely important. Also, who doesn’t want to be their own boss?
- The industry is not for the faint of heart: Only the strong survive out here. You have to know who you are, stand in your truth, know your purpose and the reason why you chose this profession or why it chose you. The rest is staying focused, disciplined, ambitious, determined, and persistent. Every day will be different and you must embrace it. There will be hard times and days when you want to give up but you always have to remember your reason “why.” Prepare yourself to get there and then maintain yourself to stay there.
- Surround yourself with a great support system: It’s a must to surround yourself with like minded individuals that believe in you just as much as you believe in yourself. It’s also important that they are there for you through the good and the bad.
- Hone your craft: Make sure you are taking classes, watching shows and films to study different actors, doing monologues, etc. to keep your instrument sharp. If you don’t use it, you lose it.
- Create your own lane: You can create your own lane and content using social media. Stay creative and relevant! Becoming an entrepreneur allows you the freedom to create your own lane to reach success.
There you have it! These helpful tips, along with some that one may discover along the way, can help guide any up and coming actor or actress trying to make it in the industry.